WARNING: I am gushy about this jacket. Worn with the Aurora Shell 2.0 ladies pants this jacket got an absolute beasting straight out of the bag in Galtür in March and were subjected to ice, wind, snow, powder… you name it, we had everything chucked at us that week.
It does everything you’d expect it to and it’s not a brand you’re going to see in every mountain bar – why? A couple of reasons, the first of which is that Helly Hansen gear is pricy. Secondly, it’s not stuff you’re going to stumble across in every ski outfitter – it’s a bit special.
[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”5″ display=”basic_thumbnail”]
Helly Hansen kit is for you if you want classic pieces – If you’re the girl (or guy) who spends big on some seriously nice ‘staple’ and timeless items and your wardrobe has shoes that have been re-soled a load of times.
Helly Hansen are also big on environmental issues and they don’t want you to buy new gear every year – they want you to invest. This jacket is designed to rough up a bit over time – and having seen people wearing similar HH gear that’s got a good few miles on mine, they’re not wrong. It looks so very cool.
The fit of the Maroi Shell Jacket (as they call it) is awesome – looks restrictive in that it’s a lot longer than I would have chosen ordinarily but by heck the difference a toasty bum makes is immense.
It’s also not puffy and snuggly – that takes some getting used to but when you realise you look 10kg lighter than you do in your normal ski rig as a result, you’ll never look back. Certainly no compromise on being all round wind and weather proof – it’s fully loaded with the usual HellyTech and if I’m honest, if it’s good enough for ocean racing yacht skippers, it’s definitely good enough for me. No idea what the glow in the dark vest thing is about but I haven’t come close to feeling like I need to add it as a layer and that was in some very brutal weather.
The cost is pretty simple to justify. It gets better with time, the cut and design will never date, a dose of NikWax every few years and you’ll be smug and snug.
Here’s the skiing on the Helly Hansen Maroi Ski Jacket:
- 3ply fabric construction shell jacket
- CIS insulated vest with 3D mesh body and insulated yoke
- Life Pocket+™ with Aerogel Insulation
- Hi vis hood brim
- Fully seam sealed
- Waterproof, windproof and breathable
- Durable Water Repellency treatment (DWR)
- Under arm side ventilation zippers
- RECCO® Advanced Rescue system
- Articulated arms and elbows for superior fit
- Zip-off stretch powder skirt
- Fixed helmet compatible hood with adjustment
- Dual hand warmer pockets under flap and one exposed chest pockets with Life Pocket™
- Sturdy cuff construction and wrist gaiters with thumb hole
- Internal pockets for goggles and electronics
- Ski-pass pocket
- YKK® Aqua guard™ water resistant zippers
HELLY HANSEN MAROI SKI JACKET (Women's)£500
- Very warm but not bulky
- Timeless style
- Very cool neon details for visibility
- Nobody else is wearing it
- Very slimming
- Takes a few days to 'break in'
- It's a lot of money (but not expensive)
- Only comes in one colour
- Weird vest thingy