When combined, Risoul and Vars create easily one of the best ski areas in the Alps – La Forêt Blanche. If you can bare the 1000km schlep from Calais (10-15 hours in a motorhome) you will be rewarded with quite possibly one of the most brilliant ski areas you could want for.
What are we so gushy about it? Because it fulfils so many of the criteria we look for as motorhome skiers – a pretty straight forward approach road (easier than Vars which is a little hairy with no barriers), an aire big enough so that it’s not usually full but not so big you feel like you’re in a Tesco car park, a few basic facilities and an epic view to gawp at with your morning brew.
PRICE (APRIL 2018): €15 day /€60 week /€200 month
(payable to the local police who come around periodically to collect and long term stays are welcomed)
Risoul is for you if…
- You like rotisserie chicken – it has tonnes of amazing places to buy them and they’re HUGE!
- You’re looking for loads of variety in your skiing – alpine summits to heavy treelined pistes, parks galore and loads of accessible side-piste
- Happy to give you’re French a go – it’s almost completely Brit-free as a resort!
Approach to Risoul Aire:
Below you’ll see an upside down map – why? Because the way in which you approach the aire is from this direction if you’re in your camper van or motorhome so James suggested this was a far better way to view it.
- Another ski town accessed directly off the N94 – turn onto the D86 and then the D186
- Sign posted Risoul 1850
- Once on the outskirts of the town keep a little right as you pass the tourist office on your left
- Pass a multi-storey car park on your left also
- Follow this one-way system around a more residential area and the aire is infront of you (but on the left hand side of the road)
- TIP: Quickly (it is one way after all) nip out and scout where you can park before driving up a small hill into the aire. It’s not easy to turn around once you’re in